Saturday, July 18, 2009

My OSCON 2009 Session: Taming your Data...

Yes!

Finally, it's there: In a few hours, I will be flying off to San Franscisco to attend OSCON 2009 in San Jose, California. This is the first time I'm attending, and I'm tremendously excited to be there! The sessions look very promising, and I'm looking forward to seeing some excellent speakers. I expect to learn a lot.

I'm also very proud and feel honoured to have the chance to deliver a session myself. It's called Taming Your Data: Practical Data Integration Solutions with Kettle.

Unsurprisingly, I will be talkig a lot about Kettle, a.k.a. Pentaho Data Integration. Recently, I talked about Kettle too at the MySQL user's conference, and more recently, at a MySQL university session. Those sessions were focused mainly on how Kettle can help you load a data warehouse.

But...there's much more to this tool than just data warehousing, and in this session, I will be exploring rougher grounds, like making sense of raw imdb text files, loading and generating XML, clustering and more. This session will also be much more hands on demonstration than the Sakila sessions. If you're interested and you are also attending, don't hesitate to drop by! I'm looking forward to meeting you :)

And...because the topic of the session kind of relates to my upcoming book, "Pentaho Solutions: Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing with Pentaho and MySQL" (ISBN: 978-0-470-48432-6, 600+ pages, list price $50.00), my publisher Wiley decided to throw in a litte extra. Yup, that's right - I've got discount coupons for the book, so if you are interested in picking up a copy, or if you just want to give one away to a friend or colleague, come find me at my session (or somewhere else on OSCON) and I'll make sure you'll get one. Thanks Wiley!!

Anyway - I'm hoping to meet you there: see you soon!!!

3 comments:

Luxspes said...

Hi!

In Wiley site the release date for the book is August 2009... well, we are in August 2009... but if I try to buy the book I still get the warning:

"This item is not yet published" Is the release date delayed? Will it be possible to buy the book electronically (as a PDF)

Thanks, Regards

Luxspes said...

Is there any chance to obtain an electronic copy of the pentaho book by showing a proof that one has pre-ordered it?

rpbouman said...

Hi Luxspes,

first of all, thank you for your interest in the Pentaho Solutions book!

The last thing I heard from my publisher (Wiley) is that the book will be available halfway August. To tell you the truth, I'm quitet happy with that, considering that the book was originally slated for early Septemer, but I can imagine it's a bit of a disappointed in case you expected immediate availability.

Anyway, it's like this: although I and Jos wrote the book, publishing is up to Wiley. As much as I want to, I can't influence the publishing date. Please, bear with us, and exercise a bit more patience, it really won't take too long from now on.

kind regards,

Roland.

UI5 Tips: Persistent UI State

This tip provides a way to centrally manage UI state, and to persist it - automatically and without requiring intrusive custom code sprinkle...